Sunday, November 4, 2007

The University of Iowa

As the plane prepared to land at the Cedar Rapids Airport, I was greeted with a vast expanse of cornfields.
This scenery was expected, but having lived in large cities for most of my life, a part of me still longed for the frantic pace and energy I had left behind.
Little did I know that beneath the veneer of calm was a bustle that would soon leave me gasping.

The University of Iowa was all it promised to be - and more. And Iowa City, I soon learned, was the best of both worlds. A Midwest city with a cosmopolitan culture, it has a unique identity. It has all the advantages of a cosmopolitan culture - great diversity, an exciting cultural scene, a happening nightlife etc. - with none of the pitfalls of the big cities.

I had a couple of days before the MBA program started and I used this time to acquaint myself with the city. A piece of advice for anyone joining a MBA program - arrive on campus at least a couple of days before the course starts. You will need those days to take care of several petty tasks like arranging your new apartment, getting your student ID etc.

And yes... realize that the MBA program will be challenging. There will be moments of ecstasy and frustration in equal measure. It is a marathon and not a 100m sprint - so you will need all your reserves of energy and mental strength.
If possible, try to take a break before you come to campus. Quit your job 2-4 weeks early; go on a nice holiday, relax and de-stress yourself before you get here.
Trust me, you'll need those 2 weeks of rest more than you'll need the money.

No comments: