Friday, April 11, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Tippie MBA....

Last night, I got back from Chicago by 9pm after a day-long assessment for a summer internship. (Unfortunately, I'm one of the few people in class who have still not decided on what they'll be doing in summer). Anyways... a snapshot of a day in my life..

6:30am - Alarm goes off... snooze.
6:45am - Second alarm goes off... aarrgh.!! Wake up, play my morning songs (the wake-up playlist!), check if there is any new email.
7:30am - Getting ready to head out. Apparently, its raining heavily outside. I absolutely hate it when I have to wear a suit and it rains... (sigh..)
7:45am - Pick up the WSJ on my way out. I'd planned to drop off the car first thing in the morning, but the rains have made me change my mind.
8:00am - Meeting at JPEC (John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center). My job at JPEC is to make investment recommendations for a Venture Capital fund. We analyze the business plans and financial statements of the firms that seek funding. We've scheduled a meeting with one such client today, so this is a pre-client meeting.
8:30am - Meeting with the client at JPEC
9:45am - The meeting at JPEC got over few minutes early. This gives me time to drop off the car.
10:00am - Meeting with team from the Strategic Business Consulting class. (Recap: We are consulting on product management for Zurich Financial Services)
11:00am - Lunch with Laura Desmond, CEO - Starcom Mediavest (The Americas) and 4 other classmates. Laura is an alumna of our university and one of the youngest CEOs in the world to lead a marketing services company.
12:10pm - Attend presentation by Laura Desmond.
1:15pm - Catch up on pending email/phone communication. Most of it has to do with arranging team meetings, although the emails that take longer have to do with my internship search.
1:45pm - Need to work on a finance assignment. Head to the business library to use the Bloomberg terminal.
3:30pm - Leave for an interview with Pearson.
4:00pm - Interview for summer internship.
The interview went quite well. The role would be in corporate strategy and I'd be working directly with one of the VPs. Should know their decision soon.
5:15pm - Leave for apartment; get out of the suit! :)
6:00pm - Attend a class to make up for an earlier one I'd missed. Thank God this is not a regular class. A 6pm class on Thursday is definitely not my thing.
7:15pm - After being edgy for over an hour (I told you.. classes on Thursday evenings are just not my thing! ), I decide to head out to the TGIT.
This week's TGIT is at a local Mexican restaurant - martinis included!
10:30pm - Back at the apartment after dinner & martinis. It is actually quite early for a Thursday night, but today has been a long day. I'm ready to crash...
11:45pm - After an hour of emails/news/setting out agendas, I'm ready to crawl in for a good nights sleep.

Tomorrow's going to be a busy day too. I'll be attending a presentation, and later having lunch with Scott Heiferman, CEO/co-founder of Meetup, and a Tippie alumnus. Should be another interesting day.

No comments: